Interview with Mary Banos


Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I have been a college Financial Aid Advisor for almost 18 years, helping students with the finances to attend college.  I have also previously foster parented teen girls.   My number one passion in life is to encourage and uplift others.
  
What inspired you to write your first book?
For many years I have encouraged hundreds of people one on one, I wanted to take it to the next level with a book, hoping now to encourage millions of people around the world.  What finally got me started on actually writing this book was the death of a brother in August 2009.  I try to have something positive come from negative times I life, and I wanted the time I spent grieving his death to be more than just the emotional pain.  I decided to start writing my book during that time to bring something positive out of that time in my life.

How did you come up with the title?
Encouraging and helping others is about one life at a time.  And if we each can touch another life this way, together we can touch the world. 

Tell us about the cover/s and how it/they came about.
I am blessed to have a close friend who is an artist, and she volunteered to paint the cover of my book as a gift.  This made the book extra special for me.

How are you publishing this book and why?

I chose to go through self- publishing for my book so that it would be published much quicker than the route of traditional publishing.  I also wanted to maintain control of my book which is also a great benefit.

  
Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
I share stories from my own life, combined with those of many people who I personally know. 

Mary Banos
What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing it to life?
I actually enjoyed this part.  I asked various friends to write and share aspects of their stories, and then I gathered positive quotes.  I felt that the combination of my stories, those of friends, and discussion of the various quotes brought everything together well for me.

For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books?
I prefer paperbacks.  I enjoy holding a book in my hands, and being able to mark and highlight my favorite parts.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I would encourage my readers to take time to think about their dreams, and to look at the steps which they can take in order to reach those dreams.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
www.encouraginglife.com  (Temporarily down as I am in the midst of transferring my website domain, and will be back up very soon.)

 blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.