Interview with Lucian Barnes

What genre do you write and why?
I write mainly in the horror genre, but oftentimes my stories cross the boundaries into other genres as well. As for why I write what I do, I would have to say that I write what I would love to read. I have always been fascinated with horror and I enjoy having the opportunity to share the scare with my fans.

Tell us about your latest book.
My latest book, Destined for Darkness, is the first standalone book that I've published. It is an occult horror thriller that some consider a prequel to the series I have been working on, though it was never intended to be such. I decided to write the story after getting feedback from some of my series fans. Many of them were intrigued by the villain introduced to them in Desolace, and wanted to know more about him. What made him tick? Why did he become a serial killer? Those questions, and more, I felt deserved an answer. Destined for Darkness was the perfect solution to give my readers what they craved.

What formats is the book available in?
My books are available in paperback, as well as most ebook formats.

Who are your favourite authors?
Stephen King, JH Glaze, and Anne Rice

Who is you favorite character in your book and why?
I would have to say my favorite is George Mancini, even though he doesn't appear in the book until the latter parts. As crazy as it may sound, I felt a certain kinship with him. This is probably due to the fact that I based a significant portion of his character on my own, real life, experiences. A good portion of the time I spent writing the book, I felt like I was putting together an autobiography. Admittedly, confessing such a thing would likely terrify a casual acquaintance, but I assure you that all of the killings in the book are fictional. Readers will have to make up their own minds in regards to what is fiction and what is real.

Lucian Barnes
How long did it take you to write your book?
I originally began working on the book in late October of 2012 and putting the finishing touches on it in June of 2013, but during that period of time I was also working on other projects. If I were to make an educated guess, I would say the total amount of time I spent working on Destined for Darkness was approximately three months.

What is your work in progress? Tell us about it.
Currently, I am working on the fifth book of the Desolace Series, a novel called Cemetery Hill. As the series works its way toward the climax, which will happen in the seventh and final installment, the rag-tag group of heroes continue their struggles against the growing darkness that besieges the parallel world of Desolace. They have persevered thus far against the Black Knight and his minions, but there is always a new challenge they must face. While some of these challenges are physical in nature, as was the case near the end of book four when they were locked in battle with a legion of demonic creatures, it is not always the case. They also have to deal with the losses of those they hold close to their hearts.

Who or what inspired you to become a writer?
When I was very young, perhaps pre-teen, I was an avid reader of mystery stories like those of the Hardy Boys. Between those books, and my favorite childhood cartoon, Scooby Doo, I started to get ideas for stories of my own. It has been a very long time since then, and all of those older stories have been lost, but reading has always been the one thing to jumpstart my imagination.

What are you currently reading?
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

When you’re not writing, how do you spend your time?
I am a bit of a recluse and often spend the majority of my time writing, but when I'm not, you can usually find me holed up somewhere with a paperback or my Kindle.

blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.