Interview with Marie Romero Cash

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I’m sure it wasn’t something I thought about growing up in Santa Fe. It was enough to get through school each day and go home to do chores. As an adult, I didn’t have time to read much, raising three children and working full-time. It wasn’t until I was reaching my early fifties that I began to fiddle with putting my thoughts on paper. These thoughts led to questions, and the answers led to more questions. Before too long I had enough answers to create articles and then books. Beginning a college education around that same time required mandatory reading, and I was hooked. First on research and then on writing for pleasure. 

What genre do you write and why? 
I started off writing books about the craft and culture of New Mexico, followed by a memoir about growing up in Santa Fe in the 1950s, and now I write mysteries.  I love the challenge of putting together a story and leading the reader through a wild goose chase hoping they will keep turning the pages.

Tell us about your latest book. 
Treasure Among the Shadows is the third Jemimah Hodge mystery I have written. The story is loosely based on an actual treasure hunt instigated by an art dealer from Santa Fe who has buried a metal box somewhere in the Southwest.  My characters are given the task of solving the murder of an archaeologist who has it in her mind that she knows exactly where the treasure is buried.  I’ve included a whole slew of miscreants who may or may not be the killer.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book?  
Book signings, emails, word of mouth, Facebook, and relying on my publisher, Camel Press, to put out the word on their fabulous website. Also participating in this web tour. It’s a great experience and is certainly reaching out there.

What formats is the book available in? 
Soft cover, downloads.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? 
I am a full-time artist and have been perfecting my craft for thirty-five years.  I spend a lot of time in my studio, carving small and large figures, some religious, some folk-artish. I enjoy hanging out at one of the local Santa Fe coffeehouses, sipping iced tea and watching people as they interact with each other. I also love my dog, Milly, a Border Collie Lab cross and enjoy spending time with her in my studio as I work and outdoors for short walks around my neighborhood.

Who are your favourite authors? 
Michael McGarrity, John Sandford, Robert Parker, and a slew of women writers who have inspired me to keep moving forward, Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton included.

What advice do you have for other writers? 
If you are serious about writing, you must read every chance you get, not only well-known authors, but also newcomers to the craft and national contest winners. Doing this, you can perfect your own craft by observing how each author sets up the story.  Make your characters believable, but also make them memorable.

What's your favorite quote about writing/for writers? 
There is always room for one more bestseller! Believe in yourself and go for it.

What's the best thing about being a writer? 
I get to spend a lot of time creating imaginary characters based on people I’ve met. The recognition is a bonus, when someone comes up to me and says, “I read your latest book and I just loved it!”

Where can people find out more about you and your writing? 
By checking out the Camel Press website and following the link to my blog.

Anything else you'd like to add?  
Thank you for taking time to read. Now take the time to get to know my writing by ordering my books!

blogsignatureWA

1 Comments

  1. Great interview! Really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.