Interview with Matthew Miranda


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
A few years after earning my degree in American Studies, I signed up for a creative writing class at my community college. The first prompt we had in class was to describe an object. I pictured a lacquered wooden box with red velvet lining, something I’d never imagined. I knew then I wanted to write.
What genre do you write and why?
Short story, mostly, with a touch of the speculative here and there. I write the world the way I see it—it seems to make more sense on the page than in the world.
Tell us about your latest book.
Superman is a short story collection where single dads, super heroes, sultans, heavenly bodies, earthbound lovers, and photic physicists seek the power to kill, the power to heal; they seek wisdom, they seek love; in other words, they seek the impossible. These stories are about the dangers of wishing for what cannot be, and the hidden costs that come with getting it.
What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 
Well, this interview is a nice start! I’m actually still finalizing whether I want to self-publish or go with an outside publisher, and that decision will ultimately shape the marketing of the book.
What formats is the book available in?
So far, I’m thinking a good old fashioned three-dimensional format. But the internet does have a way of beckoning.
What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I like to go to the beach. I like chess. I like to watch basketball and soccer. I like to cook. I like to write and play music.
Who are your favourite authors?
Jorge Luis Borges. Jeanette Winterson. Victor Giannini. Mike Carey. Grant Morrisson. Neil Gaiman. Sharon Olds. James Tate.
What advice do you have for other writers?
Write. Breathe.
What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?
"Fail better" - Beckett.
What's the best thing about being a writer?
Immersing oneself in stories.
Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
My newborn website is www.bluesofnine.com
Anything else you'd like to add?
Breathe. Write. 

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.