Interview with Yvonne McEvaddy


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I remember lying back on my bed when I was five, having just read Enid Blyton’s Stories for Five-year-olds and older, and thinking, “This is what I want to do when I grow up, write books that people can get lost in.”



What genre do you write and why?
I write mysteries, thrillers, and horror because that’s what I enjoy reading.



Tell us about your latest book.
What would you do if you found your dream house and it was rumoured to be haunted? Would you buy it anyway? Would every noise in the still of the dark night have you paralysed with fear?



Alice and Mark O’Brien don’t believe in ghosts. They fall in love with Hawthorn Grange on their first viewing. Amused by the rumours, they buy and move into The Grange. 



With Mark working the graveyard shift, Alice is alone at night. Alone with the sounds from an old house, with the words of the neighbours whispering around her, the stories of the shadows arising from the graves next door and making their way into the house.



Will her imagination succumb to the rumours? Is that a door creaking open? Who is that standing at the foot of her bed? Is it just a dream? A nightmare of real or imagined proportions follows Alice around as she tries to remember that ghosts don’t exist. Or do they?



What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 
Social media, and also posters advertising where my books can be bought locally (in counties Galway and Mayo, Ireland.)



What formats is the book available in?
Ebook and paperback.



What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love to read and watch movies, but as I’m a busy mum and childminder I don’t get a lot of time to do either of those activities. 



Who are your favourite authors?
Karin Slaughter, Stephen King and Babs Horton are my absolute favourites, but I also love Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, Chelsea Cain and Alex Barclay.



What advice do you have for other writers?
If you want to be a writer, then write. Find the time. I know it’s hard, but there is always something you can cut down on, or cut out altogether, whether it’s soaps or sleep, there has to be something. Writing is a burning desire that needs release. Most writers are trying to balance a day job as well as writing, at least to begin with. Every 100 words that you can squeeze into a busy day adds up.



Yvonne McEvaddy
What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?
I can’t remember who said it, but I read in an interview once: ‘if you have time to watch the soaps you have time to write a book.’ 



What's the best thing about being a writer?
Having a legitimate reason for my imaginary friends!



Where can people find out more about you and your writing?



Anything else you'd like to add?
Keep reading and introducing the love of reading to others. 
blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.