Building Your Author Brand


I’m relatively new in the writing world. I’ve only been published just over a year. But one thing I spent a lot of time on, and continue to spend time on, is building my brand. What is a brand? Well, it’s you, basically. Who you are as a person and a professional. What’s your voice? What are you all about?

Though the answer somewhat relates to the genre you’re writing, it’s more than just that. For instance, I write paranormal romance. But I’m also a mother of two children (one with special needs), I’m sarcastic and irreverent, I make jokes about zombies, and I love to post pictures of hot guys. Fans know this about me. They see it all the time in my social media posts and it comes out in my writing as well. Readers start to think of me as a real person, with a personality, who’s relatable and interesting. And maybe even has some common interests.

Once you’ve established who you are and what you want to represent, it’s time to build around that. This requires consistency. Find images that represent your brand – an icon, a stock photo of a model that gives a good feel of your books, your name in a special font. Reuse it across the board on all your material, written and digital. That way people come to recognize you by more than just your name. Names are forgettable, pictures last longer in people’s memory. One of my icons is a picture of an open book with a blue light shining from it. When people see that, hopefully they think of me and my fantasy stories.

The next step is to pick several words or phrases that represent your writing. For me, it’s alpha heroes, kick-ass heroines, magic, steamy sex, blood, darkness… things like that. Yes, they represent paranormal romance as a whole, but they’re words I use consistently in my materials – blog, website, bios, interviews, etc. So now you’re not only putting pictures in reader’s minds but words that represent an idea too. A book with blue light equals fantasy, a unique font for my name, and several words that have meaning all come together to form my brand.

A tagline can be helpful too. This can fluctuate a bit depending on what you’re writing at the time. A tagline is a short phrase that gives a creative picture of what you’re about. Some great taglines I’ve seen are : “Romance with a bite,” by author Carrie Ann Ryan. “Magically seductive romance,” by author Lia Davis. Mine is “love stories with a supernatural twist.” This is a quick way to give someone a piece of yourself without bogging them down with a lot of words they may or may not read. This is something you should use on your blog header and Twitter profile to entice people to want to learn more.

To sum up: a brand is what you want readers to think of when they see your name. It should include images, words, and a bit of your personality.

Guest post by Leia Shaw. 
Website: www.leiashaw.com
Twitter: @LeiaShaw


The author will award a backlist eBook, and $25 Amazon or BN GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour and to the host with the most comments (excluding Leia's and the hosts).

 So I encourage you to follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2012/04/virtual-book-tour-destiny-bewitched-by.html


20 Comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me today! I hope readers find this article a little bit useful and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful article! Hopefully I'll get to apply these tips soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i don't usually do educational posts but this one worked out well. lol. glad you got something from it :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think many writers know early on/in the beginning about building their "brand." It's something they think of later...but it's nice if they can start building right from the start. I especially like taglines. Sometimes I'll remember those before I necessarily remember an author's name...but if it's all part of an author's "package" then it's good that I'm remembering something familiar and positive about an author. If it's not their name, then the tagline or their image/logo.
    Happy July 4th...
    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, those who brand themselves before they even publish tend to have more success so i always say to start as early as you can. as long as you know what you're about.

      Delete
  4. I agree. a lot of writers wait until they're published to start building their brand but starting earlier makes the launch so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. but i understand the difficulty in writing and starting your brand. it's a tough balance.

      Delete
  5. Very useful post. It does seem like the marketing is the hard part nowadays...

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very hard and difficult to balance. thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Thanks Leia. Great post and very helpful. The one thing I use for my logo just about everywhere is the photo of my purple iris. So hopefully when people see that they know it's me! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup. just keep it up and it'll catch on! thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Great post with useful info. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stories with a supernatural twist would get me every time. I love this kind of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. When you post & your personality shines through I can relate. I remember who you are. Terribly important. It's fabulous that you recognize this need to promote your Author Brand.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! so happy to hear all this encouragement and I'm glad others recognize the need for a brand.

      Delete
  10. Hey you can think of publishing book using the help of online book publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the great advice and info on building your brand! Definitely a must know for newbie writers...it gives us a direction to start!

    ivegotmail8889@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leia great article, I love the advice given it is very useful.
    Carin mawmom(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.