Jennifer Mueller Interview

Tell us a little about yourself
As a Peace Corps volunteer in Kenya a few years back I traveled quite a bit and now I just wish I was. A lot of the places I've written about I've been to, a lot of them I haven't. Rafting on the Nile in Uganda, living in a Montana ghost town, African safaris, European youth hostels, the Black Hills of South Dakota all fill my scrapbooks. Now a daughter takes up most of those pages, but I still travel in my head every time I write.That's the bio i like to use and I think it sums me up pretty well, I like to entertain myself visiting other places even if they are only in my head. I write mostly historical and if a few contemorary slip in, at least half are based in history in some way.

When did you decide to become a writer?
I didn't actually I was reading a series of books my freshman year of college that I thought was awful and thought i could write something better. I'd written for myself for close to a decade when my husband said you write so much you should try to publish. 40+ stories/books later here i am.

What was your first published work?
I Imagine Walking was the first paid one its now rereleased in a collection called The Odyssey and Other stories out at Romance at Heart, I had a short little thing online called Absolution on Apollo's Lyre was my absolute first.

Do you have anything coming up?
That's a loaded question. I have to say lots seeing as I have 10 publishers. In the next year there's A Wolf in Angel's Clothing the novel that I started writing back when I started its a historical Oregon Trail Tale, Mine Death and Hunting Death are stories of the descendant of the characters in A wolf In Angel's Clothing. Far from home is in the Byzantine Empire, Ancient Walls is a contemporary treasure hunt based on a lot of history. The Great Southwest by Rail, The New guy, are two little short erotic peices i have coming. The angel of ballyferriter is a rerlease of a contemporary Irish tale with an older hero and heroine.

What is your dream as a writer?
To entertain people oh and maybe have a book in print with a New York Publisher

What writing avenues are you currently pursuing?
I'm mostly in the e-book realm right now, several are in print through those publishers.

Is there anything you wish you had been told earlier in your career?
That promotion takes more time than writing does. Sad but true.

What advice can you offer writers just breaking into a serious writing career?
Don't listen to your husband if he says you aren't Hemingway. He didn't end so well after all.

Anything else you want our readers to know?
Just in April I've had 4 come out. Egyptian Days a time travel sequel set in Ancient Egypt, Behind the Mask a renaissance erotic short, Sweet Challenge with my 1920's story A Speakaasy Named Hell in it, The Odyssey and other stories is a collection of three stories. There are excerpts, reviews, and more at my website, http://www.jennifermuellerbooks.com/. Oh and be sure to stop by my free reads page and download a free copy of my newly updated cookbook, it holds 70 pages of recipes that I've used and come across in researching all my of tales throughout history and around the world.

2 Comments

  1. This is a very interesting well written interview.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! this was a very fun, upbeat interview. I like the author's rejoinder to her husband when he told her she was no Hemmingway. Anyway, Hemmingway is overrated.

    If you have time, check out my blog : mariacristina.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.