Denise Turney Interview

Tell us a little about yourself
I have loved books and good story since I was a very young child. I started writing when I was 10 years old. This marks my 34th year as a writer. Generally I write family sagas and mysteries. Good story is a gift! I'm incredibly grateful to be a part of this wonderful process!
When did you decide to become a writer?
When I was 10 years old. My family had just moved to Tennessee. My sister unexpectedly came upon a book of poetry by Gwendolyn Brooks in the school library. We both were shocked that she found the book at school as the grade school we attended didn't carry many cultural books. I opened the book and started to read. The characters leaped from the pages! They reminded me of my grandmother, a neighbor, a friend. The stage was set. A feeling came over me that I cannot explain with words. All I know is that I said, "I'm a writer" and I have been since that day.
What was your first published work?
Portia - the inspirational story about a successful defense attorney who lives in Chicago, Illinois and how she uses her family, faith and the love of her fiancee to deal with the challenges of breast cancer. Portia has encouraged and strengthened people impacted by cancer for nine years now.
What is your dream as a writer?
To write powerful and poignantly moving stories that help each of us to heal and gain the courage to allow love to flow freely into and through us, one to another, to all living things.
What writing avenues are you currently pursuing?
I am working on two new novels. My new book Long Walk Up is released this month! I'm excited! I also am a columnist for New Citizens Press and Bahiyah Magazine.
Is there anything you wish you had been told earlier in your career?
Approach writing as a business AFTER you have created your articles/stories/books. At some point in the process, you probably must become a businesswoman if you intend to earn a living as a writer.
What advice can you offer writers just breaking into a serious writing career?
Trust your instincts. Trust your gut feelings. Study the market. Write every day or at the least five days a week. The more you write, the stronger you will become as a writer. If you're looking for story ideas, be open to incorporating aspects from your dreams into your storylines.
Anything else you want our readers to know?
I love connecting with you! I am an avid reader myself! I have books in nearly every room of my house. I love books and I am so very grateful for you allowing me the chance, through your support, to do what I love and to share great, entertaining stories with each of YOU!
visit www.chistell.com

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.