Interview with Karina Fabian

What one piece of advice would you offer readers who are working on their first novels?
Thicken your skin.  You need critique to improve, so be ready to listen with an open mind to what your fellow writers or readers say about your work.  Also, expect rejection and keep writing, anyway.
What is the primary source of inspiration for you?
Ack!  Tough questions, because different things inspire different ideas.  However, I think talking with friends is probably my best source for ideas that turn into stories.  That's why I love my writing friends, like Ann Lewis, Grace Bridges, Fred Warren, Walt Staples...  And the Writers Chat Room is an excellent way to meet a group of writers (http://writerschatroom.com).  In fact, TWC helped me come up with the title for the Mind Over Mind books.
You've written in a lot of different genres. What is your favorite genre to write in, and why?
I’m most comfortable in fantasy, but each genre has its own advantages.  Science fiction lets me indulge my geeky side, and I enjoy learning about science and technology and figuring out what we can do with it.  Devotionals let me talk unabashedly about my love of God.  Horror?  Well, I do humorous horror, so I have a lot fun with it.  (I’m not a big horror fan.)
Tell us a bit about your latest book

Mind Over Psyche (Book Two of the Mind Over trilogy). 
Deryl isn’t crazy; he’s psychic.  Desperate to escape the insane asylum, Deryl  teleports to Kanaan, a world of telepaths who regard him as an oracle.  But freedom comes at a price.  The Kanaan expect their oracle to teach them to use their powers to wage war.  Meanwhile, he’s falling in love, but to be with her means to share his psyche, which could drive her insane.  Most dangerous of all, he hasn’t escaped the Call of the Master, enemy of the Kanaan, whose telepathic manipulations were why Deryl was committed in the first place.  Now, the Master will forge Deryl’s powers into a weapon to kill all he loves or destroy his mind trying.

What have you done to develop your writing craft?
Practice.  Get critiques--tough critiques.  Take workshops.  I learn best by doing and having my mistakes pointed out to me, rather than reading about theories or methods.
Where do you get your ideas? 
All over—from TV, from conversations with friends, from something on the news (or Facebook), from another book I’ve read, from a call for submissions for an anthology…  There’s actually a psychological term for it:  cognitive disinhibition.  People with CD do not organize/file away information as well as people who don’t have it.  As a result, we have a lot of stuff floating around in our minds, synapses snapping around until they link up with something else, and BOOM!  Idea!  Interestingly, schizophrenics also have CD, but on a more extreme level.  So to all the people in college who thought I was inhibited—HA!
What’s a common mistake new writers make?
Following “rules” too closely.  Really, there aren’t rules, just guidelines.  For example, I had a friend who tried to remove every single adverb in her novel because “the rules” say “No –ly words.”  Those words are a legitimate part of the English language and used judiciously (Look! -ly word), they can have an impact.
What is your definition of success?
Fulfilling your worth as a human being.  For me, that means raising my children to be responsible adults, supporting my husband in his career, keeping a good home, and writing books that give people a few hours of escapist fun and/or help them in some way.
Karina Fabian
What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? 
I play Munchkin or D&D with Rob and the kids, clean house, watch TV, or endure circuit torture—I mean, go to circuit training.  I joined a gym in January because I was tired of being the general shape and consistency of Jello pudding in a human bag.  It’s also great for blog fodder, although not nearly as torturous as the first month.  You can catch my adventures with the treadmill and Ryion, Trainer of the Pudding Bags, Wednesdays at http://fabianspace.blogspot.com.
Where can people find out more about you and your book?


blogsignatureWA


0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.