Interview with Kytka Hilmar-Jezek


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I have always written. When I came to the USA, I was four years old and I did not speak any English. I began writing things the way they sounded to try to learn English. Later I wrote to express myself. My serious writing began approx. 20 years ago when I became a mother. I began sharing my journey on yahoo groups and my writing attracted many followers. This evolved to blogs and books.

What genre do you write and why?

I write primarily non-fiction, though I have written some fiction in pen names. I am passionate about helping people and sharing what I know comes through best in non-fiction works.

Tell us about your latest book.

Book Power: A Platform for Writing, Branding, Positioning & Publishing evolved out of workshops I would have teaching people how I have gamifed the writing process to make writing more about creating your book. Many business owners and non-fiction writers get stuck and overwhelmed because they do not think of themselves as writers. The methods I teach take the pressure off and make it more about writing what they already know. If they just share their knowledge and capture it, it can easily become a book.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book?

I do live events all over the world teaching how to use a book to leverage your personal brand and build your business. I am active on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and Pinterest. I write articles and grant interviews to blog owners and other media.

What formats is the book available in?

Paperback and e-book.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I travel with my children. They are a large part of my events and what I teach and share. They are homeschooled and want to be entrepreneurs just like their mom, so they are all involved in internet marketing and are authors as well.

Who are your favourite authors?

I like authors who have opened the doors on subjects not traditionally discussed, the thought leaders. Some favorites are Derrick Jensen, Ashley Montague, Joseph Chilton Pearce, Thom Harman, Michael Talbot.

What advice do you have for other writers?

If you are passionate about anything, and I believe all people are - then you need to share it with the world, especially if your passion happens to be your business as well. There is so much noise in the world today it is very hard to stand out and be seen or heard above the competition. A book is an amazing tool which will allow your prospective clients know, trust and understand you. This builds relationships that are critical for the survival of any business. A book also opens doors to so many other opportunities. It's the new marketing tool and with self publishing being so easy and even free - there is no excuse not to write!

What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” - Madeleine L'Engle

What's the best thing about being a writer?

The ability to inspire people. The ability to connect. I love to receive letters from people who tell me that something I wrote caused them to look deeper, think more, experience something new. And I love the freedom, both in expressing my thoughts and feelings in a free way, but also of the lifestyle of being able to write when I like, how I like and for whomever I like.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?

Book Power on Amazon: http://amzn.to/15cNYY5

Anything else you'd like to add?

I would like to encourage everyone to write something. Each one of us carries a unique voice and information or a way of seeing that should be shared. No matter where we are on our path, there is someone following behind whose journey would be much easier if we shared some shortcuts and stories along the way.  I also wanted to thank you for having me here today and for the opportunity to share on Writers and Authors.

blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.