Interview with Michelle Elliot

When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I get asked this all the time, but the truth is, I don't think anybody decides to become a writer. I started writing when I was a teenager, I guess. Nothing huge or big. Just generally putting my thoughts and feelings down on paper, more for self beneficial purposes than to achieve anything else.

Though, by doing this I picked up on a potential talent and just decided to take something I already loved doing and looked into making more of it than just scrap bits of note paper. I'm glad it paid off now.


What genre do you write and why?

I can’t say I have a specific genre of writing. I have written short stories and novella, to poetry and song writing. I have written self-help guides, erotica writes and I have recently moved into the “Chick-Lit” genre – a style of writing I thought wouldn’t suit me, but I’ve found myself surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed it.



Tell us about your latest book.

“Until We Meet” is my latest book, it is also my debut chick-lit release. Writing this book was more of a spur-of-the-moment project, rather than something I had planned to do. It has been the easiest thing I have written in the last six years, because so much of it is relevant to my own life. The book includes several characters and it goes through the motions of how it is to date in modern society, the trials and tribulations of finding love and meeting the wrong people. Ultimately though, "Until We Meet" tells the story of the two main characters - Darren and Katy. Unlike the typical romance tale of boy-meets-girl, "Until We Meet" plays out the lives of two people who have never met.



What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 

I am still marketing the book at the moment. In the last six years of being a published author, I have realised the importance of creating a 'buzz' before the release of a new book. It gets your audience excited and keeps them keen to read. This time I opted to advertise "Until We Meet" using a book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M1oskOpk_Y



I can now publicise that there is an even bigger team of people working behind “Until We Meet” and we are currently in the process of creating something more of a movie-like trailer. We have been lucky enough to secure some fantastic actors and actresses and well known artists to create the backing tracks. This will be the first of it’s kind I have ever done, and I am excited to see the end result.



Alongside this, I also have a facebook page www.facebook.com/michelleelliotauthor where I encourage anybody to come over and chat to me. Will soon be connecting via Twitter too.

  

What formats is the book available in?

“Until We Meet” will be available in both digital format and in print. You will be able to buy the book online through sites like Amazon, Barnes and Noble and my own personal website which will be live in the coming weeks. You will also be able to download the book on your Kindle.



What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Think about the writing I will have to do when my spare time is over! Besides this though, I spend time with my beautiful family, doing as much as we can together. Trips to the park, lake and messy paint days at home. I listen to a lot of music, like discovering new talent on places like YouTube and I am an keen reader myself.



Who are your favourite authors?

don't have many favourite authors as such. I love books - sometimes I'll love one book from an author, and hate their next. But in the last few months I have read and enjoyed the likes of Sibel Hodge, Sophie Kinsella, and EL James



What advice do you have for other writers?

Be prepared to do more editing than writing, to delete more pages than you will create but remember the first manuscript is always the hardest. Re-read your work in progress but not too often because no matter how gripping your story is, after reading it for the 100th time, it will seem like the most boring news bulletin you have ever read. Set yourself up to be prepared to hit a few hurdles and set backs along the way. I have realised that even if you manage to traditionally publish, things get put on hold and dates get pushed further back most times. Nothing will go according to plan, but it will always work out. Make time to get involved with other writers and as many events and promotional opportunities as you can. They will all help you on your way to becoming an established author.



What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?

I always get asked this, and the answer is always the same.

Rejection slips, or form letters, however tactfully phrased, are lacerations of the soul, if not quite inventions of the devil - but there is no way around them.

- Isaac Asimov



I think this is a big quote for me. I've been rejected so many times as an author. I used to get so, so disappointed when I recieved a form later or rejection mail. I'm glad of each of them now because it was an extra push to keep going.



What's the best thing about being a writer?

Holding a book in your hand that has YOUR name on it, knowing that it is all your work. Recieving mail and feedback from my readers. Knowing that people enjoy reading what I write is an incredible feeling. The idea that I have given my children a reason to be proud of me, when they are older. I've had the opportunity to write with some INCREDIBLE people in the last few years too which has made for some very special experiences.



Where can people find out more about you and your writing?

You can find out more about the book through my Facebook page and book trailer. In the coming weeks, my personal website (still a work in progress) will be available which will include a personal biography, information on my books, and free goodies.



Anything else you'd like to add?

I would like to thank Jo, for hosting me here today. I would also like to send my thanks out to my book cover designer Oliver Bennett (Who has taken my rubbish sketches and ideas and turned them into something amazing) . Thanks to my amazing agent, who has had to put up with endless complaints, requests and just general whining from me, and for pushing me to achieve my best. An even bigger thanks to my supportive friends and family who have encouraged me to keep writing, and to my readers - who have helped make a big dream a reality :)

blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.