Interview with Michael Baron


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I knew from an early age, and started writing fiction when I was a young teen. In my early adulthood, I left this behind for a different career, but it kept calling me. I finally started listening by working on nonfiction projects and only allowed myself to try fiction professionally a few years ago.

What genre do you write and why?
My publisher and I have had this discussion many times. Ostensibly, you could say that I write contemporary romance because there are usually love stories at the center of my work. But I like to say I write relationship fiction, because I explore relationships at a variety of levels. This has never been truer than with my latest novel, Leaves, which focuses on the lives and interactions of five family members. There are a number of love stories at play here, but I also concentrate on sibling relationships, friendships, and professional and even civic relationships.

Tell us about your latest book.
Leaves is the story of a family in a small New England town. The family is in the midst of a major transition because the matriarch has died and the edifice that has always held the family together – their inn, the Sugar Maple – has been sold. Against the backdrop of the changing of the seasons, the family goes through similarly dramatic changes.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 
Fortunately, my publisher takes care of most of my marketing. Lots of publicity and bookseller promotion. I contribute interviews and blog posts where requested.

What formats is the book available in?
Paperback and e-book.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
As people will discover upon reading most of my novels, I'm an avid cook. There's a fairly significant focus on food in Leaves because one of the primary characters is a chef. I'm also a big sports fan. Mostly baseball. 

Who are your favourite authors?
I have enormous admiration for Pat Conroy. In addition to admiring the bravery of his writing, I just love the sound of his sentences.

What advice do you have for other writers?
Be as honest on the page as you can possibly be. Never worry about trends or what's hot on the bestseller lists. If you take your writing seriously and you work very hard at getting your emotions and your spirit on the page, there will be an audience for you.

What's the best thing about being a writer?
Being able to explore your heart on the page. It's the best therapy in the world.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
At my website, www.michaelbaronbooks.com.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Just that I'm always interested in hearing from readers. It is tremendously helpful to me to hear from readers about what works and what doesn't.

blogsignatureWA

2 Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful interview. I truly enjoyed learning more about Michael Baron, since I have read all of his books an always anxiously await his next one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.