Interview with Ellie Rose


When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I think it’s a common aspiration to want to write a book but most people never do it. I guess I was like that for a few years – wanting to have my name in print but having no intention of taking practical steps to make it happen.

I’d been writing stories and poems since childhood and in 2008, while in my second year at university, I fell into blogging without giving it much thought but after a number of people told me how much they liked my blog posts I started to pay more attention to writing; I started blogging more, I dusted off my old poetry notebook, started reading articles with advice for aspiring authors and I began my novel, based on an idea I had years before.

What I’m really trying to say is: I didn’t know or decide to become a writer at any one point in time, it was a series of events, a process.

What genre do you write and why?
I write poetry, short stories, children’s stories, scripts, plays and non-fiction.
Within fiction I mainly stick to mystery, romance and highly emotional plots.
I write in quite a wide variety of styles and genres because it suits who I am as a person. I have an eclectic personality with many different, and sometimes even opposing, interests and tastes.

Tell us about your latest book.
WAKE is a collection of poetry and short stories that came out on September 28th. It is the sequel to Still Dreaming, my first collection that came out in May. Both were self published.

What marketing methods are you using to promote your book? 
I promote mainly through the major social networking sites – Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr and YouTube – plus my blogs and face to face, to people I meet at events.

What formats is the book available in?
WAKE, like Still Dreaming, is available as an ebook in epub format, PDF format and for the Amazon Kindle and as a paperback from Lulu.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Read, make YouTube videos, watch movies, travel. Plus I’m training to be a youth worker.

Who are your favourite authors?
Malorie Blackman, Nicola Morgan and Roald Dahl.

Ellie Rose
What advice do you have for other writers?
Work hard, read lots and remember: it is better to be corrected by the wise than praised by fools.  

What's your favourite quote about writing/for writers?
It takes years to become an overnight success

What's the best thing about being a writer?
You get to create something and have the choice to release it into the world – that’s so empowering to me.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
On my website – www.ellierose101.co.uk

blogsignatureWA

0 Comments

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.