Interview with Karina Fabian

Rob Fabian

Karina Fabian

When did you start your writing career?

1996. We'd just returned from a tour of duty in Japan.  Rob was in the Air Force, and I had switched to the Air Force Reserves to stay home with our two toddlers.  However, I'd always wanted to write, and during Lent that year, I decided to give up reading and take up writing.  I dedicated my efforts to God and asked Him to bring me opportunities.  That month, I started writing for my diocese magazine.

I wrote mostly non-fiction for the next couple of years, but after awhile, I started to get burned out on it.  We were well off financially, so I switched over to fiction, which I enjoy more.  I've written hundreds of articles, and about 30 stories and five novels.  About half of my stuff is published so far.  I've also written three craft books, a devotional (Why God Matters, with my father Deacon Steve Lumbert) and do four school planners a year.

What's been the highlight of your career so far? 

The next book to get published. That's always the highlight.  

Tell us a bit about your book INFINITE SPACE, INFINITE GOD II.

Here's the summary of Infinite Space, Infinite God II:  Twelve science fiction stories featuring Catholic heroes. Meet a time traveler who sacrifices his life to give a man a sip of water, and the nun who faces venomous snakes to save a friend. Share the adventures of priests who battle aliens and machines in order serve the greater good.
Infinite Space, Infinite God II spans the gamut of science fiction, from near-future dystopias to time travel to space opera, puzzles of logic to laugh-out-loud humor and against-the-clock suspense. A great read for any science fiction fan--a must-read for the Catholic sci-fi lover.
Rob and I really enjoyed compiling ISIG I, and were pleased when the publisher asked us to put together a second edition.  We're hoping it will take off with science fiction fans. You can order it from your favorite bookstore or online at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?box=1606192310&pos=-1&ISBN=1606192310.

What gave you the idea to mix Catholic heroes and sci-fi?

Rob and I don't buy into the idea that we'll outgrow our need for religion when we leave the earth (or get more tech toys).  Religions in the future are an interesting angle at which to look at science fiction.  Since we're Catholic, and have created a universe of nuns who do space search and rescue, it was an easy step to compiling the anthologies.  As for the theme of Catholics as heroes--that just happened as a result of the stories that authors submitted to us.  In ISIG I, the theme was more focused on the future of the Church as an institution; this time, individuals were the focus.
Faith at its best gives people strength and courage to act upon their convictions.  Why not have stories that examine this natural side of humans?

What advice do you have for other writers?

Write what you love.  Know your craft.  Keep submitting, and don't take rejection personally.  Writing is an art; publishing is a business.

What other projects are you working on?

I am still trying to find a home for my DragonEye, PI series.  I have a couple of places that need to get back to me.  I'm playing around with three books--a science fiction and two fantasies--but nothing serious at the moment.  Right now, I'm marketing hard and taking care of some things at home that need more than the usual amount of attention.

Where can people find out more about you and your work?

http://www.fabianspace.com is my home page for all my works.  The menu is divided by genre so you can find your favorites.  For more about Infinite Space, Infinite God, including story synopses and information about individual contributors, go to www.isigsf.com.

Anything else you'd like to add?

Just that I've been very blessed in my writing career to meet and work with a lot of terrific, creative people.  I've never regretted my Lenten decision.
Thanks for touring us, Jo!

The video trailers:


 Other stops on Karina's Tour:
18-Nov

Tour schedule, info
20-Nov

Writing Faith-Filled Fiction
21-Nov

Interview
22-Nov

Interview
23-Nov

review
23-Nov

Interview
24-Nov

Interview
25-Nov

Interview
26-Nov

Interview
29-Nov

Interview
29-Nov

About Karina's stories
30-Nov

Karina Talks about the stories
1-Dec

Interview
2-Dec

About Contributors' stories
3-Dec

What is Catholic Fiction?
3-Dec

Interview
4-Dec

Interview
5-Dec

Interview with Contributors
6-Dec

Information
6-Dec

Reviews

































2 Comments

  1. Thanks so much for hosting us today. I enjoyed telling folks a little about the book and the wonderful writers who contributed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned so much about the Fabians that I didn't know.

    I hope the Dragon P.I. series finds a home soon. I love Vern.

    Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. So feel free to comment, but keep in mind the basics of blog etiquette — no spam, no profanity, no slander, etc.

Thanks for being an active part of the Writers and Authors community.